Monday, August 13, 2012

{Just Saying} My Take on Child Harnesses and Reins

Hiya Everyone!

First of all, hope all is doing well, especially those who have been affected by the flooding. My prayers all go for you guys.

So, anyway. My thoughts on whether the use of child harnesses is good or bad has been bothering me for the past days. Well, just because I could not believe there has been a debate on whether using it makes you a good or bad parent. This post is just my thoughts which I want to share with everyone, and hopefully would be informative for both who are and are not against it.

Wondering which side I take? Well, I am really not against it. In fact, I see nothing wrong at all and does not mold a parent to be either good or bad. Yes, I know leashes are more known to be used for our pets, but it does not mean using it on our kids is bad as well. Besides, if you think of the purpose over how it looks, don't you think the function is more important?

If someone asks you why you put a leash around your pet, what would you answer? You'd say so he won't get lost or be taken by someone else, to keep him safe. Isn't that what we want as well for our kids?

Also, according to doctors and pedias, a harness is 'safer' to use than holding your child's hand. Why? Well, because, most children who are held by the hand who makes tantrums or would want to go where he is not supposed to go will result you from trying to jerk up your child, which can cause shoulder dislocation. Don't believe me? Google it. I am not saying though that you don't hold your child's hand. Of course, I'd still hold my BabyLove's hand for as long as she doesn't make tantrums, but I wouldn't want to hurt her trying to get her up by pulling her by the arms. Also, it stresses a child's hand to be held up all the time. Why not put yourself in your child's shoes and try putting up your hand for 15 minutes? What more for one hour?

Let me also add that kids are pretty smart and strong when they try to get off your hand. And once they come free, they'd run as fast as they can. And sometimes, it is pretty hard to catch up with them. Well, it won't be much problem if you are in the mall. But, what if you are on the streets, or amusement parks where there are so many people?

Okay, so there are those tracking devices which a lot encourage to use. If I am not mistaken, they beep at the press of a button and you will hear where your child is at. Well, does that guarantee that they are 'safe'? Hypothetically, what if your child was taken by some pedophile or kidnapper, and he or she is not by your side, and you try to 'beep' your child's tracking device, what now? He's already been taken, and you don't have even the slightest idea where he or she is at. Now that's scary. You'd be lucky if your tracking device actually has a GPS locator screen, but I'll bet that is expensive and not everyone can afford it. I know because my dad uses GPS tracking devices, and they don't come in cheap. This also applies for the situation if they get lost in a crowd of people like in amusement parks. It would be pretty hard trying to locate them lost in a sea of so many people and kids.

Another reason I find these 'favorable' to use is because I am a single mom. Trust me, it's pretty hard to shop trying to hold your child by the hand or carrying him or her, especially now that my BabyLove is starting to get heavy. I don't have anyone I could pass her to while I am choosing some stuff since I don't have somebody with me most of the time. It's pretty difficult to choose stuff to buy with your child making tantrums. You can't really pay attention to the details of the product you are buying in that situation. My BabyLove is not yet old enough to understand that no means no, that "Don't go there" means "Don't". So, having her in a harness allows her to go about, but still ensures that she is within my reach.

I am sorry if I sound so rude or ranting regarding the issue. It just hurts that the use of harnesses implies "bad parenting" to others. All we want is to keep our children safe. I just want to share my thoughts, and hopefully make some people who think it is bad realize that it is not. Especially for single parents like myself, harnesses are very useful. Of course, there is a limit to using it, especially if you are just doing routine stuff and short walks. I just hope people would respect other parent's way of keeping their children safe, because no one can really judge if one is a bad parent or not.

There is no perfect formula or way in being a good parent. Let us not be judgemental, and instead, try to understand one's ways. It's best if we try to understand first why they do this or that and not judge them instantly of their actions, don't you think?

Well, I hope this sheds some useful info for some. For those who are against it, I totally respect you. But, also, respect us for our own ways. ;)

Til my next post! ;)

Cheers!
Pin It Add it to your boards!

10 comments:

  1. I have to admit, when I first saw a child's harness, I got upset because it was like demoralizing the child. But then I realized, they won't invent something like this if it's bad for the child. And now that you blogged it, I now have a parent's view about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback. :-)

      Yes, at first it really looks awkward and can look mean. But, as a single mom, it sure helps keep my BabyLove safe and free from injury.

      Delete
  2. well it doesnt look good but im for it... it actually gives the kid more freedom to move around without the mommy worrying...

    -visiting from BC Bloggers here! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you mentioned, it sure does not look good, I admit. However, I am more concerned of the safety of my BabyLove. I would never forgive myself if something happened to her.

      Delete
  3. I personally do use leash with my kids. It's much safer especially if you kid loves to wriggle out of your hands and if you are going out with more then 1 kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, kids are surprisingly strong! Also, I wouldn't want to get her shoulder or wrist dislocated from trying to hold on to her too tight. Very useful also for single parents like myself.

      Delete
  4. I didn't use it to the little one I always carry him when we are outside..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also carry my BabyLove at times, however, she is getting heavier.. Hahaha!

      Delete
  5. the leash - i don't know if i will be pro or con that item. haven't got our bebetot yet, hopefully soon so i could also attest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, you will only know once you get to use it.. :) Thanks for dropping by, sis. ;)

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you. Please leave any thoughts and comments you might have. I will get back to you as soon as I can. ♥ ♥ ♥

Blog Awards