Sunday, October 9, 2011

First fever scare... and what to do

Remember the first time your little one got a really, really high fever? Well, my BabyLove got sick 2 weeks ago. I felt that she was hotter than usual, but ignored it at first because it was really cold that time due to the rain storms passing by the country. However, later in the morning, I still felt something was different. That is when I decided to take her temperature. And, alas! She was 38 degrees Celsius!!!


Well, I was calmer than I expected. Why?! Because BabyLove's mood did not change the teeniest bit. She ate really well, she played as usual, and even laughing once in a while. So, I decided to wait a day or two before taking her to the doctor. But, of course, I definitely felt scared, still. Especially with the Dengue fever scare due to the rainy seasons. Who wouldn't get scared when their little ones are not feeling well.


Anyway, fast forward to the 3rd day of her fever. She never had continuous fevers. It would just spike up once in a while. But then, I decided it's time to take her to the doctor. After hours and hours AND hours of waiting, doctor said she's okay, gave her a few medicines, and she was good to go. After that, she did not get any fever anymore.


Before even visiting the doctor, I already looked up the internet regarding "babies getting sick", "baby with high fever", etc. Maybe that's why I stayed really calm. That is why I am really thankful for the current technology. I get to read articles on what to do, when to worry, what could cause it and the like. Don't you agree?


So, for first time moms out there such as myself, here are a few things to remember based on my experienced and on what I researched. It is entirely up to you if you take them or not. =)



  • Keep calm. Well, of course, I am not saying it's not okay to be scared. Everybody gets scared. But, remember, you have the internet to search hundreds of articles regarding your problem. And you will find moms like yourself who can help you. Well, I suggest this because I assume that you currently have an internet connection, because you won't be reading this if you don't. =P
  • Watch for signs that go with your little one's fever -- vomiting, nausea, lack of energy, not playful as usual, and anything out of the ordinary. If you experience any of those, immediately see the doctor.
  • Trust your instincts. If you feel there is something wrong, see the doctor right away. There is nothing more powerful than a mom's instinct.
  • Be patient. Your little one could be crying and be grumpy the whole day. But remember, he/she may be feeling really bad. So, make him/her feel that you are there for them.



So, first time moms like me, care to share your thoughts on this scenario? How did you feel about your little one getting sick for the very first time? What did you do? I'd love to hear.


Luv and Cheers! Pin It Add it to your boards!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Please leave any thoughts and comments you might have. I will get back to you as soon as I can. ♥ ♥ ♥

Blog Awards